Sunday, September 15, 2013

PeliCans, So Can You


Crossing Over
It's that time of year for flocking. As summer campers disappear, the migration begins along the Mississippi of some really awesome birds. This is the time to be in the park for nature lovers.

I was able to get myself out of bed by 5am, and yes it's dark out, to make my pilgrimage to the observation deck at Perrot Park.

Greeted by fellow outdoor lovers I heard the Pelicans have began to congregate in the waters around the park. They are migrating from areas in Canada to as far South as Central America.




Far out in the River

The White Pelican which stretches to 9 feet in the air has a graceful flight. They create long lines of up to hundred in the sky.

Best viewing has been around 7am as they cross the park over to Trempealeau Wildlife Refuge. Others reported an evening event as well before dusk.


Landing in the Refuge






You Too Can get up early for this special viewing.





A short video of the Pelicans and oh yeah some pretty nice Snowy Egrets in the foreground.


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to be a migratory human that does not have to get up so early! You're a brave soul to wake at that hour but I'm sure the sights were worth it.I especially appreciate your sharing them with us late risers.

    ReplyDelete