Saturday, June 15, 2013

Tales from the Trails-Bikers and Blooms

Midway Bicycle Garden
Miss me? I've been trying to blog once a day but I got busy. Life gets in the way again. I started a garden project for the Great River State Bike Trail at Midway. Turning a vacant corner into something the bikers can enjoy. A stop where they can stretched their legs and enhance the path they are on.

It's a project I'm enjoying and it gives me the opportunity to work with Prairie Plants, since my own garden is in the shade of a woods. A great source for many native species with your soil type in mind is Prairie Nursery in Westfield, Wisconsin. I really enjoyed talking to Sarie, who helped me with the plant selection. She also has a great love for Perrot State Park as well.  There's a real Cinder-fella story behind our conversation.

Path to the raised bed.
Here are a few photos of area  before I started, I'll be sure to keep you updated on the progress. This site is on the corner of Hwy's OT and XX in Midway, which is about 15 miles from Perrot State Park. The bike trail travels north, down into Brices Prairie over several bridges and coming back out through the Trempealeau bottoms. A great ride to see some wildlife and woodlands and prairies.

Re-Cycled Bicycle Art
You can see there's room for lots of improvement. I will be incorporating some bike art as well. Be on the look out for bike parts, especially wheels, I'll be happy to re-cycle them.




1 comment:

  1. I saw a cute bench made from a wooden primitive style bench attached to the front wheel and handlebars at TJ Maxx - check it out for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete